079 901 3454
079 901 3454
COMPREHENSIVE NANNY TRAINING COURSE
On this course we will provide your nanny with up to date information and practical advice to help care for your child in a secure setting. We teach from the principles of whole child development so your nanny will learn to have a complete understanding of your child’s entire development – social, language, emotional, physical and intellectual.
WHAT THE COURSE COVERS
- The role of a nanny.
- The importance in following a mother’s routine
- Child safety – Being aware of the hazards in and out the home.
- Understanding the implications and precautions of HIV and TB & Covid-19
- First Aid, CPR and handling childhood emergencies.
- Essential infant care – sleeping, bathing, nappy changing, burping, crying.
- Nutrition and weaning
- Hygiene and sterilization of bottles
- The importance of play
- Gross and Fine Motor Stimulation
- Milestones and Development
The nanny training comprises of four modules which we cover over two full days.
At the end of the course, your nanny will receive a manual, certificate including the First Aid and CPR certification which the nanny and domestic placement agencies recognize. Please review the dates of our training schedule here.
- The importance of their role as a nanny
- Communication with the parents
- Understanding and following a routine
- How to manage childcare and housework
- Safety awareness – identifying hazards and creating a childproof home
- Understanding and preventing infectious diseases like HIV & TB.
We also teach the nannies how to effectively manage their time between childcare and domestic work. They learn how to manage and prioritize their responsibilities. We teach the nannies how they can childproof the home and to be aware of safety measures in and around the house. We end the session discussing HIV and TB and the impact it can have on children in the private home and their own communities.
(endorsed by the American Heart Association and Resuscitation Council of SA)
- Identifying Emergency Numbers and an emergency plan
- CPR for babies and young children
- Choking on babies and young children
- Essential First Aid for all home emergencies
In an intensive three hours session, our First Aid trainer covers all the pediatric essentials of First Aid, including CPR and Mouth to Mouth. The nannies are required to practice repeatedly on baby dolls in order to perfect the CPR technique. They are also taught how to deal with all home emergencies like choking, burns, stings, poisoning, drowning etc and what numbers to dial for emergency help.
- Understanding what is a healthy, balanced diet
- Menu ideas for young children
- Weaning and introducing solids
- Tips and general information for difficult feeders, allergies etc.
- Basic baby care regarding crying, bathing, feeding etc.
- Personal and baby hygiene
In this module, we deal with the importance of healthly eating, hygiene and a balanced diet. Nannies are taught the different methods of sterilization, how to wean a young baby onto solid food and what foods to be careful of and why. Nannies are also taught how to deal with fussy eaters and how to plan a child’s menu which is both nutritious and child appropriate. We also cover the basics of infant care like burbing, bottle feeding, sleeping issues, nappy changing and bathing.
- The importance of play
- Understanding developmental milestones
- How children learn through play by using their senses and muscles
- Fun games and ideas inside and outside
- Music and reading
- Fun in the kitchen
In our last module we discuss the importance of play and why young children need to be stimulated. We review the developmental milestones from an infant to a three year old. We then give the nannies a list of age appropriate games and activities. We cover the importance of learning through reading and music and also how to have fun in the kitchen. During the session they are encouraged to play – get involved – and discuss the “why reasoning” behind each game and activity. The nannies are learning how to apply gross and fine motor stimulation into thier play activities with the child.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The nannies have homework and are encouraged to practice what they learn. The nanny training modules are geared towards babies and children from birth to five years of age.
The training material used for the CPR/choking component of the course is in accordance with the requirements of The American Heart Association and with the Resuscitation Council of South Africa.
Our manual is regularly updated with the guidance of the midwives, pre-primary school teachers, the input of mothers and more than 3 years domestic worker training experience. We want to make sure that everything we teach is practical and current, while keeping it fresh and simple so your domestic worker or nanny understands the content, despite any language barrier.
TRAINING SCHEDULES & PRICING
When you hire a nanny who takes care of your child and also cleans your home, it is important to set the correct expectations.
The original article is published on BusinessTech. It highlights important things you should be aware of when hiring a domestic in South Africa.